Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The next day

This is my living room. Having space of my own is of paramount importance in my life. The most common root of anxieties I have felt over the last several years has been my lack of undivided personal space. For the first time ever, I have an apartment all to myself. I was apprehensive at first because moving to a new city and living alone seemed... lonely. And it is at times but the benefit on my psyche is profound. Not to mention my apartment is totally gorgeous.

When I finally got Internet several weeks ago, I had fun intentions of blogging several times a week... FAILED! Well, I will make a better effort as it dawned upon me this afternoon why I have such trouble sitting down and doing it. It is not for a lack of things to say... I have a constant running commentary putzing along between my ears all day long and even though none of those amazing and enlightening thoughts stick around when I actually sit down to type - that is not the reason. The reason turns out to be that I am intimidated by other's more eloquently written and witty blogs. Well, that's a lame reason if you ask me. Its time to stop hiding from the better, more challenging talents of others. So, Voile! The first step is discovery, Check. Now for the action.

Bisteeya
Most Delicious Moroccan Chicken Pie
(seriously, make it)
Whole Chicken (3lbs) cut up into atleast 4 parts
1 stick of butter
3 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground Cumin
1 teaspoon ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground Turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Saffron Threads (soaked in 2 tablespoons warm water)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup Chicken Stock
4 eggs
1/2 cup Chopped Cilantro
3 Tablespoons Chopped Parsley
1/3 cup chopped almonds
3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1 package of Filo (phyllo) dough (12oz)

1. In a small bowl, add 2t of the Cinnamon and all the other spices to the chicken stock and stir until mixed.
2. Melt 1/4 stick Butter in a large pot, add the chicken and the chicken stock/spices and let simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
3. Remove chicken from sauce and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones. Shred the meat into thin strips.
4. Bring the liquid in the pot to a simmer and add eggs, stirring constantly. The mixture will get crumbly when its done. Add the Chicken, Cilantro and Coriander and season with Salt and Pepper. Remove from heat.
5. Crush the almonds into crumbles and mix with the remaining cinnamon and powdered sugar.
6. Melt the remaining butter in a bowl. On a round pizza sheet lay out one sheet of Filo dough. Brush with butter and apply another sheet of dough on top but at an angle, brush with butter. Keep laying the filo dough on top in a pinwheel pattern until there are 8 sheets or so layed down. The edges of the filo dough should hang off the edge of the pizza sheet. Pour the chicken mixture ontop of filo. Spread evenly, then sprinkle almond mixture on top. Fold the edges of the filo over the filling. Lay 8 sheets of filo on top in the same fashion as before with butter between each sheet. Tuck the edges under the bottom layers of Filo so the pie is a nice round parcel.
7. Bake at 350F for forty minutes and eat it because its delicious!

This is one of my favorite dishes. It takes a little time to make but its wonderful.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: