Saturday, December 06, 2008

Tree / Thanks!

Today is tree day. December decorative tree day. After some reflection on neighbors and the importance of neighborhoodiness in the city, Jake and I decided to keep it local with our tree. We bought it from the nice (but terribly smokey) flower shop next door and then decorated it. I love it. On with the story...

Thanksgiving in Michigan!

Thanksgiving is the BIG holiday for both my family and Jakes family. In a way it is nice that both families live only one hour apart but then it makes visiting them (all in one day, no less) somewhat... stressssssfuuulll.

Jake and my families are very similar and different. They are both really huge but his family is more like a sailboat and my family is more like a tricked out (the homemade way) cigarette boat. Both boats... just very different boats. After our uneventful flight there, we had brunch with my paternal side. This was a giant affair of around 50 people. Brunch is served buffet style and you access the feast by wading through a dense, pushy line. The company is pretty boisterous and usually wild but this year it was more subdued due to the fact that me and all my cousins (there are 8) are getting all teens or older. New this year, I was evangelized by my aunt's boyfriend's son's wife's mother. Totally awkward. Then we left.

On to Jake's maternal affair. Every other year they host a "Last Reunion" thanksgiving. Someday it will actually probably be the last one but that day isn't looking too soon. Jake's little nephew, Luke (10mos.) stole the show with his little waddley walk and "I'm the cutest baby on earth, who are you?" face. Dinner was delicious. Then we left. The "M"-word count for the day - 3.  Not half bad. 

Friday, My mother, sister and I bought my sister's wedding invitations. Yay for her! Followed by a little shopping escapade. That night, Jake and I headed out to Bittersweet for some well deserved shredding (two thanksgivings to burn off). The slopes were snowy and the beer was cheap. Jake is doing a magnificent job learning to ride his new board and we are looking forward to big poconos mountains.

Saturday was dinner with my mom's parents. Pretty standard affair and Sunday we flew home. 

Here is the real story in all this. As we are driving to GR airport, baseball-sized snowflakes are pouring down like an open overturned cereal box after no snow all week. Naturally our flight was delayed. We made it into DTW in time for our connection, but only by a hair. Well, lo and behold, that flight was delayed 3 hours. So we eventually get into Philly Intn'l around 1am. Do you know what's running at that time? Well it's not the train home.  We break unto the luggage carousel to a massive throng of people waiting for the taxi queue. We are talking hundreds of people waiting for taxis and do you know how many taxis were there waiting at that fine hour? ZERO. Thats right. Not a one to be seen. Also, no ATMs so if you eventually get a taxi and have no cash (like me) your taxi drive will f r e a k out.  So, in light of these circumstances we decided to catch the bus to Budget rentals. The gentleman there informs us that it will be over $100 to rent FOR ONE NIGHT. Ridiculous. It's 2am. Jake takes a chance and calls a taxi service to see if they will pick us up. Fully expecting to be told to head to the Taxi corral, we are surprised to find a taxi is headed our way and will meet us in 5 minutes. SCORE! or so we thought! It is raining cats and dogs, we are exhausted, then the taxi driver starts driving the wrong way, then he gets lost in south philly. We are on 76 headed in the wrong direction, driver is driving it like he stole it. It's wet out. Well, he decides to get off the highway so we veer sharply to the right, into the exit lane and the exit lane turns and we don't. We go flying over the edge of the exit ramp across the grassy knoll and onto the oncoming ramp. oh   my   god.  Unbelievable. It's 2:30am, I am exhausted. Jake is exhausted. He guides are flustered driver to our place, we get out unscathed and proceed directly to bed at 3am. 

Happy Thanksgiving! and good riddance!

No comments: